Find out what's behind this life-threatening eating disorder and how to treat it.
Although low levels of thyroid hormones (hypothyroidism) can leave you feeling tired and depressed, medications can help you live a normal life.
Though psoriasis can be uncomfortable and sometimes painful, you can take steps to improve your symptoms.
Bronchiolitis is an infection of the lungs' airways that starts out like a cold but progresses to coughing and wheezing. It's common in infants.
You normally lose about 10 cups (2.4 liters) of water every day — much more during exercise or illness. Learn how to stay hydrated.
Contact with certain substances, such as weeds, metals or soap, can cause a red, itchy rash. Here's how to manage this common form of dermatitis.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Moisturizers do more than treat dry skin. Find out if you need a moisturizer and how to select one that fits your skin care needs.
Want to pamper your skin? It might be simpler — and less expensive — than you think. Start by getting back to the basics.
Hyperparathyroidism, or overactivity of one or more parathyroid glands, raises blood-calcium levels. The disorder can weaken bones and lead to other serious complications.
Whether it affects a small or large area of your body, itchy skin can be uncomfortable and persistent. Here's how to stop the itch.
Jan. 28, 2014
- Dry skin. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/a---d/dry-skin. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Fazio SB, et al. Pruritus: Overview of management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- The management of chronic pruritis in the elderly. Skin Therapy Letter. com. http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2010/15.8/2.html. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Weston WL, et al. Treatment of atopic dermatitis (eczema). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Dermatologists' top 10 tips for relieving dry skin. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/winter_skin.html. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 1, 2013.