You're likely to start by seeing your family doctor. However, in some cases, you may be referred directly to a specialist in skin diseases (dermatologist).
Here's some information to help you get ready for your appointment and know what to expect from your doctor.
What you can do
Preparing a list of questions will help you make the most of your time with your doctor. For dry skin, some basic questions to ask include:
- What is likely causing the dry skin?
- What are other possible causes for my symptoms?
- Do I need tests?
- Is it likely the condition will clear up on its own?
- What skin care routines do you recommend?
Don't hesitate to ask any other questions you have.
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you several questions, such as:
Jan. 28, 2014
- Do you have other symptoms?
- Have your symptoms been continuous or occasional?
- What, if anything, makes your skin better?
- What, if anything, makes your skin worse?
- What medications are you taking?
- How often do you bathe or shower? Do you use hot water? What soaps and shampoos do you use?
- Do you use moisturizing creams? If so, which ones, and how often do you use them?
- Dry skin. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/a---d/dry-skin. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Fazio SB, et al. Pruritus: Overview of management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- The management of chronic pruritis in the elderly. Skin Therapy Letter. com. http://www.skintherapyletter.com/2010/15.8/2.html. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Weston WL, et al. Treatment of atopic dermatitis (eczema). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Dermatologists' top 10 tips for relieving dry skin. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/agingskinnet/winter_skin.html. Accessed July 1, 2013.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 1, 2013.