To determine if you have dry mouth, your doctor or dentist likely will examine your mouth and review your medical history and all medications you're taking, including over-the-counter medications.
Sometimes you may need blood tests, imaging scans of your salivary glands or tests that measure how much saliva you produce to identify the cause of your dry mouth. If your doctor suspects your dry mouth is caused by Sjogren's syndrome, a small sample of cells (biopsy) taken from salivary glands in your lip may be sent for testing.
May 10, 2014
- Dry mouth. National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/oralhealth/topics/drymouth/drymouth.htm. Accessed Feb. 3, 2014.
- Dry mouth? Don't delay treatment. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm254273.htm. Accessed Feb. 3, 2014.
- Xerostomia. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dental_disorders/symptoms_of_dental_and_oral_disorders/xerostomia.html. Accessed Feb. 3, 2014.
- Furness S, et al. Interventions for the management of dry mouth: Non-pharmacological interventions. Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD009603.pub3/abstract. Accessed Feb. 3, 2014.
- Slippery elm. National Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Feb, 11, 2014.
- Electroacupuncture for radiation-induced chronic dry mouth. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/featured/trials/MAYO-MCS285. Accessed Feb. 3, 2014.
- Bader JD, et al. Results from the Xylitol for Adult Caries Trial (X-ACT). The Journal of the American Dental Association. 2013;144:21.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 10, 2014.
- Bergstrom LR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. Feb. 10, 2014.
- Salinas TJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 10, 2014.
- Ship JA, et al. Safety and effectiveness of topical dry mouth products containing olive oil, betaine, and xylitol in reducing xerostomia for polypharmacy-induced dry mouth. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation. 2007;34:724.
- Marshmallow. National Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Feb. 11, 2014.