Dry macular degeneration is a common eye disorder among people over 65. It causes blurred or reduced central vision, due to thinning of the macula (MAK-u-luh). The macula is the part of the retina responsible for clear vision in your direct line of sight.
Dry macular degeneration may first develop in one eye and then affect both. Over time your vision worsens, which may affect your ability to do things such as read, drive and recognize faces. But this doesn't mean you'll lose all of your sight.
Early detection and self-care measures may delay vision loss due to dry macular degeneration.
Dry macular degeneration care at Mayo Clinic
Dec. 04, 2015
- AskMayoExpert. Age-related macular degeneration. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Preferred practice pattern: Age-related macular degeneration. San Francisco, CA: American Academy of Ophthalmology; 2015. http://www.aao.org/preferred-practice-pattern/age-related-macular-degeneration-ppp-2015. Accessed Sept. 22, 2015.
- Age-related macular degeneration? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/amd.cfm. Accessed Sept. 17, 2015.
- Facts about age-related macular degeneration. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/maculardegen/armd_facts.asp. Accessed Sept. 17, 2015.
- Lawrenson JG, et al. Omega 3 fatty acids for preventing or slowing the progression of age-related macular degeneration. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.16.0b/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed Sept. 22, 2015.
- Yanoff M, et al., eds. Age-related macular degeneration. In: Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 17, 2015.
- American Medical Association. Age-related macular degeneration. JAMA Patient Page. JAMA. 2012;308:1702.
- Garg SJ. Age-related macular degeneration. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye-disorders/retinal-disorders/age-related-macular-degeneration-amd-or-armd. Accessed Sept. 22, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Lowering your risk for advanced age-related macular degeneration. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Farid M. Transscleral suturing of the implantable miniature telescope. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 2013;39:979.
- Arroyo JG. Age-related macular degeneration: Treatment and prevention. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 25, 2015.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 22, 2015.
- Garrity J. Structure and function of the eyes. Merck Manual Consumer Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/eye-disorders/biology-of-the-eyes/structure-and-function-of-the-eyes. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 7, 2015.