The main goals of treatment are to delay disease progression and preserve vision. In many cases, damage that has already occurred can't be reversed, making early detection important. Your doctor will work with you to determine the best treatment. Options may include:
- Low vision rehabilitation. The experts of Mayo Clinic's low vision services work with you to help you adapt to your changing vision.
- Surgery to implant a telescopic lens. For selected people with advanced dry macular degeneration in both eyes, one option to improve vision may be surgery to implant a telescopic lens in one eye. Mayo Clinic's eye surgeons are experts in this technique.
Dec. 04, 2015
- AskMayoExpert. Age-related macular degeneration. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Preferred practice pattern: Age-related macular degeneration. San Francisco, CA: American Academy of Ophthalmology; 2015. http://www.aao.org/preferred-practice-pattern/age-related-macular-degeneration-ppp-2015. Accessed Sept. 22, 2015.
- Age-related macular degeneration? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/amd.cfm. Accessed Sept. 17, 2015.
- Facts about age-related macular degeneration. National Eye Institute. http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/maculardegen/armd_facts.asp. Accessed Sept. 17, 2015.
- Lawrenson JG, et al. Omega 3 fatty acids for preventing or slowing the progression of age-related macular degeneration. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.16.0b/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed Sept. 22, 2015.
- Yanoff M, et al., eds. Age-related macular degeneration. In: Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 17, 2015.
- American Medical Association. Age-related macular degeneration. JAMA Patient Page. JAMA. 2012;308:1702.
- Garg SJ. Age-related macular degeneration. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye-disorders/retinal-disorders/age-related-macular-degeneration-amd-or-armd. Accessed Sept. 22, 2015.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Lowering your risk for advanced age-related macular degeneration. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Farid M. Transscleral suturing of the implantable miniature telescope. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 2013;39:979.
- Arroyo JG. Age-related macular degeneration: Treatment and prevention. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 25, 2015.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 22, 2015.
- Garrity J. Structure and function of the eyes. Merck Manual Consumer Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/eye-disorders/biology-of-the-eyes/structure-and-function-of-the-eyes. Accessed Sept. 28, 2015.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 7, 2015.