Anaphylaxis is the most serious type of allergic reaction. It often occurs rapidly after exposure to an allergen and may be life-threatening.
Oct. 10, 2014
- Joint Task Force on Practice Parameter. Drug allergy: An updated practice parameter. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2010;105:259.
- Drug reactions and drug allergies. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/ALLERGIES/TYPES/DRUG-ALLERGY/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed July 22, 2014.
- Drug hypersensitivity. The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/immunology_allergic_disorders/allergic_autoimmune_and_other_hypersensitivity_disorders/drug_hypersensitivity.html?qt=drug sensitivity&alt=sh. Accessed July 22, 2014.
- Chiriac AM, et al. Drug allergy diagnosis. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2014;34:461.
- Romano A, et al. Antibiotic allergy. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2014;34:489.
- Anaphylaxis. The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/immunology_allergic_disorders/allergic_autoimmune_and_other_hypersensitivity_disorders/anaphylaxis.html?qt=anaphylaxis&alt=sh. Accessed Aug. 10, 2014.
- Adkinson NF, et al. Middleton's Allergy: Principals and Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 22, 2014.
- Young JS, et al. Chemotherapeutic medications and their emergent complications. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America. 2014;32:563.