Your doctor will conduct a thorough physical examination, including listening to your heart with a stethoscope. Certain characteristic sounds can indicate that your pericardium is inflamed or that fluid has accumulated around your heart.
Your doctor might then recommend tests, such as:
July 09, 2015
- Echocardiogram. Sound waves produce an image of your heart, helping your doctor to see if fluid is collecting around it.
- Electrocardiogram. Electrical impulses in your heart are recorded through wires attached to your skin. Certain changes in the electrical impulses can indicate pressure on your heart. But electrocardiogram readings may be abnormal after heart surgery, so your doctor likely won't rely on this one test for a diagnosis of Dressler's syndrome.
- Chest X-ray. An X-ray can help detect fluid building up around the heart or lungs and can help exclude other causes of your symptoms, such as pneumonia.
- Blood tests. The results of certain tests can indicate inflammatory activity that's consistent with Dressler's syndrome.
- LeWinter MM. Pericardial complications of myocardial infarction. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Hoit BD. Post-cardiac injury syndromes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Hoit BD. Etiology of pericardial diasease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Bonow RO, et al. Pericardial diseases. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Adams JG. Pericarditis, pericardial tamponade, and myocarditis. In: Emergency Medicine: Clinical Essentials. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Imazio M, et al. Postpericardiotomy syndrome: A proposal for diagnostic criteria. Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine. 2013:14:351.
- Alraies MC, et al. Clinical features associated with adverse events in patients with post-percariotomy syndrome following cardiac surgery. American Journal of Cardiology. 2014;114:1426.
- Cantinotti M, et al. Controversies in the prophylaxis and treatment of postsurgical pericardial syndromes: A critical review with a special emphasis on paediatric age. Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine. 2014;15:847.
- Imazio M, et al. Cochicine for prevention of postpericardiotomy syndrome and postoperative atrial fibrillation: The COPPS-2 randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2014;312:1016.