Symptoms are likely to appear weeks to months after a heart attack, surgery or other heart injury. Dressler's syndrome symptoms may include:
When to see a doctor
See your doctor if you experience any chest pain that lasts more than a few minutes. Other complications following a heart attack, surgery or other heart injury can cause symptoms of Dressler's syndrome. But chest pain may indicate a recurring heart attack or other undiagnosed disorder. That's why it's important to seek emergency care for any persistent chest pain.
Aug. 03, 2012
- Imazio M. The post-pericardiotomy syndrome. Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine. 2012;18:366.
- Crawford MH, ed. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Cardiology. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3648061. Accessed June 4, 2012.
- Hoit BD. Post-cardiac injury syndromes. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed June 4, 2012.
- Dudzinski DM, et al. Pericardial diseases. Current Problems in Cardiology. 2012;37:75.
- Imazio M, et al. Meta-analysis of randomized trials focusing on prevention of the postpericardiotomy syndrome. American Journal of Cardiology. 2011;108:575.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 20, 2012.