Preparing for your appointmentBy Mayo Clinic Staff
If you're being seen in the emergency room for chest pain, you might be asked:
July 09, 2015
- When did your symptoms begin?
- Can you rate the severity of your chest pain, such as on a scale of 1 to 10?
- Does anything worsen symptoms? For example, does it hurt more when you inhale deeply?
- Where is the pain located? Does it extend anywhere beyond your chest?
- Have you experienced a recent event that could cause tissue damage to the heart, such as a heart attack, heart surgery or blunt trauma to your chest?
- Do you have a history of heart disease?
- What prescription or over-the-counter medications are you taking?
- LeWinter MM. Pericardial complications of myocardial infarction. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Hoit BD. Post-cardiac injury syndromes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Hoit BD. Etiology of pericardial diasease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Bonow RO, et al. Pericardial diseases. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Adams JG. Pericarditis, pericardial tamponade, and myocarditis. In: Emergency Medicine: Clinical Essentials. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Imazio M, et al. Postpericardiotomy syndrome: A proposal for diagnostic criteria. Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine. 2013:14:351.
- Alraies MC, et al. Clinical features associated with adverse events in patients with post-percariotomy syndrome following cardiac surgery. American Journal of Cardiology. 2014;114:1426.
- Cantinotti M, et al. Controversies in the prophylaxis and treatment of postsurgical pericardial syndromes: A critical review with a special emphasis on paediatric age. Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine. 2014;15:847.
- Imazio M, et al. Cochicine for prevention of postpericardiotomy syndrome and postoperative atrial fibrillation: The COPPS-2 randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2014;312:1016.