Dressler's syndrome is a type of pericarditis — inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart (pericardium). Dressler's syndrome is believed to be an immune system response after damage to heart tissue or to the pericardium, from events such as a heart attack, surgery or traumatic injury. Symptoms include chest pain, which may be similar to chest pain experienced during a heart attack.
Dressler's syndrome may also be called postpericardiotomy syndrome, post-myocardial infarction syndrome and post-cardiac injury syndrome. With recent improvements in heart attack treatment, Dressler's syndrome is less common than it used to be.
July 09, 2015
- LeWinter MM. Pericardial complications of myocardial infarction. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Hoit BD. Post-cardiac injury syndromes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Hoit BD. Etiology of pericardial diasease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Bonow RO, et al. Pericardial diseases. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Adams JG. Pericarditis, pericardial tamponade, and myocarditis. In: Emergency Medicine: Clinical Essentials. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Imazio M, et al. Postpericardiotomy syndrome: A proposal for diagnostic criteria. Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine. 2013:14:351.
- Alraies MC, et al. Clinical features associated with adverse events in patients with post-percariotomy syndrome following cardiac surgery. American Journal of Cardiology. 2014;114:1426.
- Cantinotti M, et al. Controversies in the prophylaxis and treatment of postsurgical pericardial syndromes: A critical review with a special emphasis on paediatric age. Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine. 2014;15:847.
- Imazio M, et al. Cochicine for prevention of postpericardiotomy syndrome and postoperative atrial fibrillation: The COPPS-2 randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2014;312:1016.