The immune system response that leads to Dressler's syndrome might also cause fluid to accumulate in the membranes around your lungs (pleural effusion).
Rarely, Dressler's syndrome can cause more-serious complications, including:
July 09, 2015
- Cardiac tamponade. Inflammation of the pericardium can cause fluids to accumulate in the sac (pericardial effusion). The fluid can put pressure on the heart, forcing it to work harder and reducing its ability to pump blood efficiently.
- Constrictive pericarditis. Recurring or chronic inflammation can cause the pericardium to become thick or scarred. The scarring can reduce the heart's ability to pump blood efficiently.
- LeWinter MM. Pericardial complications of myocardial infarction. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Hoit BD. Post-cardiac injury syndromes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Hoit BD. Etiology of pericardial diasease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Bonow RO, et al. Pericardial diseases. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Adams JG. Pericarditis, pericardial tamponade, and myocarditis. In: Emergency Medicine: Clinical Essentials. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 27, 2015.
- Imazio M, et al. Postpericardiotomy syndrome: A proposal for diagnostic criteria. Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine. 2013:14:351.
- Alraies MC, et al. Clinical features associated with adverse events in patients with post-percariotomy syndrome following cardiac surgery. American Journal of Cardiology. 2014;114:1426.
- Cantinotti M, et al. Controversies in the prophylaxis and treatment of postsurgical pericardial syndromes: A critical review with a special emphasis on paediatric age. Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine. 2014;15:847.
- Imazio M, et al. Cochicine for prevention of postpericardiotomy syndrome and postoperative atrial fibrillation: The COPPS-2 randomized clinical trial. JAMA. 2014;312:1016.