You're likely to start by seeing your primary care provider. You might be referred to a doctor who specializes in conditions affecting the female reproductive tract (gynecologist) or a doctor who specializes in reproductive hormones and optimizing fertility (reproductive endocrinologist).
What you can do
To prepare for your appointment:
- Ask if there's anything you need to do in advance to prepare for any possible tests.
- Make a list of any menstrual symptoms you've had and for how long.
- Make a list of your key medical information, including any other conditions for which you're being treated and the names of any medications, vitamins, herbs or supplements you're taking.
- Take a family member or friend along, if possible, to help you remember everything.
- Make a list of questions to ask your doctor to help you make the most of your visit.
Some basic questions to ask your doctor include:
- What is the most likely cause of my signs and symptoms?
- Are there any other possible causes?
- What treatment approach do you recommend, if any?
- Am I a candidate for surgical treatment? Why or why not?
- Am I at increased risk of problems during pregnancy?
- What options are available to improve my chances of a successful pregnancy, if necessary?
- Should I see a specialist?
- Are there any brochures or other printed materials that I can have? What websites do you recommend?
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. Being ready to answer them may reserve time to go over any points you want to spend more time on. Your doctor may ask:
- What are your signs and symptoms, and when did you first notice them?
- Are your signs and symptoms continuous, or do they come and go?
- Do you menstruate regularly?
- What is a typical menstrual period like for you?
- Have you ever been pregnant?
- If you have been pregnant, what was the outcome?
- Do you hope to have biological children in the future?
- Are you currently being treated or have you recently been treated for any other medical conditions?