Some women have a double uterus and never realize it — even during pregnancy and childbirth. Each cavity in a double uterus often leads to its own cervix. Some women with a double uterus also have a duplicate or divided vagina.
Possible signs and symptoms may include:
- Unusual pressure or cramping pain before or during a menstrual period
- Abnormal bleeding during a period, such as blood flow despite the use of a tampon
When to see a doctor
If you have signs and symptoms of a double uterus, make an appointment with your doctor. An early diagnosis is especially important if you plan to become pregnant or if you've had repeated miscarriages. Your doctor can recommend treatment options to improve your chances of getting pregnant, staying pregnant and having a safe delivery.
If you've been diagnosed with a double uterus and are considering pregnancy, talk with your doctor first. Together you can make a plan for optimal care during pregnancy and delivery.
April 02, 2013
- Iverson RE Jr, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of congenital anomalies of the uterus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Iverson RE Jr, et al. Surgical management of congenital uterine anomalies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Hua M, et al. Congenital uterine anomalies and adverse pregnancy outcomes. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2011;205:558.e1.
- Chan YY, et al. Reproductive outcomes in women with congenital uterine anomalies: A systematic review. Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2011;38:371.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1528/0.html. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=46. Accessed March 4, 2013.
- Gallenberg MM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Rochester, Minn. March 8, 2013.
- Coddington CC (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Rochester, Minn. March 9, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.