Low blood pressure (hypotension) can be a sign of good health or of a life-threatening condition. Find out more about hypotension's causes and treatment options.
Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Tests and diagnosis
Treatments and drugs
Aug. 11, 2015
- Marx JA, et al., eds. Dizziness and vertigo. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Chronic subjective dizziness (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Dizziness. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Yuan Q, et al. Anxiety and depression among patients with different types of vestibular peripheral vertigo. Medicine. 2015;94:1.
- Kim JS, et al. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. New England Journal of Medicine. 2015;370:1138.
- Goldman L, et al. Hearing and equilibrium. In: Goldman's Cecil's Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Tucci DL. Dizziness and vertigo. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/ear-nose-and-throat-disorders/approach-to-the-patient-with-ear-problems/dizziness-and-vertigo. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Dizziness and motion sickness. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/content/dizziness-and-motion-sickness. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Mitsunaga MM, et al. Head CT scans in the emergency department for syncope and dizziness. AJR. 2015;204:24.
- Flint PW, et al. Peripheral vestibular disorders. In: Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al. Dizziness and vertigo. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Dizziness/vertigo. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/databases/medical-conditions/d/dizzinessvertigo.aspx. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Branch WT, et al. Approach to the patient with dizziness. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Furman JM, et al. Treatment of vertigo. Http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Maarsingh OR, et al. Causes of persistent dizziness in elderly patients in primary care. Annals of Family Medicine. 2010;8:196-205.
- Hyperthermia: Too hot for your health. National Institute on Aging. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/hyperthermia. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Brainard A, et al. Prevention and treatment of motion sickness. American Family Physician. 2014;90:42.
- Canalith repositioning procedure — for treatment of BPPV. Vestibular Disorders Association. http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/treatment/canalith-repositioning-procedure-bppv. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.