Low blood pressure (hypotension) can be a sign of good health or of a life-threatening condition. Find out more about hypotension's causes and treatment options.
Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Treatments and drugs
Aug. 11, 2015
- Marx JA, et al., eds. Dizziness and vertigo. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Chronic subjective dizziness (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Dizziness. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Yuan Q, et al. Anxiety and depression among patients with different types of vestibular peripheral vertigo. Medicine. 2015;94:1.
- Kim JS, et al. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. New England Journal of Medicine. 2015;370:1138.
- Goldman L, et al. Hearing and equilibrium. In: Goldman's Cecil's Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Tucci DL. Dizziness and vertigo. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/ear-nose-and-throat-disorders/approach-to-the-patient-with-ear-problems/dizziness-and-vertigo. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Dizziness and motion sickness. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/content/dizziness-and-motion-sickness. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Mitsunaga MM, et al. Head CT scans in the emergency department for syncope and dizziness. AJR. 2015;204:24.
- Flint PW, et al. Peripheral vestibular disorders. In: Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al. Dizziness and vertigo. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Dizziness/vertigo. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/databases/medical-conditions/d/dizzinessvertigo.aspx. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Branch WT, et al. Approach to the patient with dizziness. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Furman JM, et al. Treatment of vertigo. Http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 23, 2015.
- Maarsingh OR, et al. Causes of persistent dizziness in elderly patients in primary care. Annals of Family Medicine. 2010;8:196-205.
- Hyperthermia: Too hot for your health. National Institute on Aging. https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/hyperthermia. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Brainard A, et al. Prevention and treatment of motion sickness. American Family Physician. 2014;90:42.
- Canalith repositioning procedure — for treatment of BPPV. Vestibular Disorders Association. http://vestibular.org/understanding-vestibular-disorders/treatment/canalith-repositioning-procedure-bppv. Accessed July 1, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.