Low blood pressure (hypotension) can be a sign of good health or of a life-threatening condition. Find out more about hypotension's causes and treatment options.
High blood pressure affecting only the arteries in your lungs is known as pulmonary hypertension. Discover the symptoms, risk factors and treatment for this condition.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to various life-threatening conditions. But it's easily detected — and you can work with your doctor to control it.
Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Tests and diagnosis
Eye exam — Overview covers definition, what to expect and results of vision testing.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Treatments and drugs
The canalith repositioning procedure can help relieve dizzy spells caused by benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). Here's how the procedure is done.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
Sep. 06, 2012
- Branch WT. Approach to the patient with dizziness. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=9096086. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Tusa RJ. Dizziness. Medical Clinics of North America. 2009;93:263.
- Dizziness and vertigo. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/print/ear_nose_and_throat_disorders/approach_to_the_patient_with_ear_problems/dizziness_and_vertigo.html. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Hyperthermia: Too hot for your health. National Institute on Aging. http://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/hyperthermia-too-hot-your-health. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Lai YT, et al. Epidemiology of vertigo: A national survey. Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. 2011;145:110.
- Kutz JW. The dizzy patient. Medical Clinics of North America. 2010;94:989.
- Post RE, et al. Dizziness: A diagnostic approach. American Family Physician. 2010;82:361.
- Barton J. Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Dizziness and motion sickness. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/dizzinessMotionSickness.cfm. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Falls and fractures. National Institute on Aging. http://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/falls-and-fractures. Accessed July 6, 2012.
- Eggers SD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 12, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.