- Experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic specialists diagnose and treat more than 2,000 people with diverticulitis.
- Expert diagnosis. Symptoms of diverticulitis are similar to those of other digestive disorders. Mayo specialists have experience distinguishing diverticulitis from other conditions.
- Advanced surgical techniques. Whenever possible, Mayo surgeons use minimally invasive procedures, which can help lessen your pain and speed recovery.
- New ideas. Mayo Clinic researchers are studying ways to improve diagnosis and treatment of diverticulitis. You have access to the expertise of Mayo's clinician-researchers.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Aug. 07, 2014
- Young Fadok T, et al. Colonic diverticulosis and diverticular disease: Epidemiology, risk factors, and pathogenesis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- Pemberton JH, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of acute diverticulitis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- Bailey MB, et al. Morbid obesity and diverticulitis: Results from the ACS NSQIP dataset. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2013;217:834.
- Young Fadok T, et al. Treatment of acute diverticulitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What is the initial therapy for uncomplicated diverticulitis? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan.17, 2014.
- Boostrom SY, et al. Uncomplicated diverticulitis, more complicated than we thought. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2012;16:1744.
- Diverticular Disease. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diverticulosis/index.aspx. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.