Diverticulitis is usually diagnosed during an acute attack. Because abdominal pain can indicate a number of problems, your doctor will need to rule out other causes for your symptoms.
Your doctor will likely start with a physical examination, including checking your abdomen for tenderness. Women, in addition, generally have a pelvic examination to rule out pelvic disease.
After that, your doctor will likely recommend:
Aug. 07, 2014
- Blood and urine tests, to check for signs of infection.
- Pregnancy test for women of childbearing age, to rule out pregnancy as a cause of abdominal pain.
- Liver function tests, to rule out other causes of abdominal pain.
- Stool test, to rule out infection in people who have diarrhea.
- CT scan, which can indicate inflamed or infected pouches and confirm a diagnosis of diverticulitis. CT can also indicate the severity of diverticulitis and guide treatment.
- Young Fadok T, et al. Colonic diverticulosis and diverticular disease: Epidemiology, risk factors, and pathogenesis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- Pemberton JH, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of acute diverticulitis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- Bailey MB, et al. Morbid obesity and diverticulitis: Results from the ACS NSQIP dataset. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2013;217:834.
- Young Fadok T, et al. Treatment of acute diverticulitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What is the initial therapy for uncomplicated diverticulitis? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan.17, 2014.
- Boostrom SY, et al. Uncomplicated diverticulitis, more complicated than we thought. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2012;16:1744.
- Diverticular Disease. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diverticulosis/index.aspx. Accessed Jan. 7, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.