Left untreated, disorganized schizophrenia can result in severe emotional, behavioral, health, and even legal and financial problems that affect every area of life. Complications that disorganized schizophrenia may cause or be associated with include:
Dec. 10, 2010
- Suicidal thoughts and behavior
- Self-destructive behavior
- Inability to perform daily activities, such as bathing, dressing or preparing meals
- Frequent hospitalizations
- Abuse of alcohol, drugs or prescription medications
- Family conflicts
- Inability to work or attend school
- Violent crime — may be a victim or perpetrator
- Heart and lung disease related to smoking
- Schizophrenia. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Sept. 29, 2010.
- Skodol AE, et al. Specific personality disorders. In: Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Association; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.com/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed Sept. 29, 2010.
- Jibson MD. Schizophrenia: Clinical presentation, epidemiology, and pathophysiology. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Sept. 29, 2010.
- Gejman PV, et al. The role of genetics in the etiology of schizophrenia. Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2010;33:3.
- Schizophrenia. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/schizophrenia/complete-publication.shtml. Accessed Sept. 29, 2010.
- Jibson MD. Schizophrenia: Diagnostic evaluation and treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Sept. 29, 2010.
- Families and schizophrenia: The view from advocacy. Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2007;30:549.
- Rathod SR, et al. Cognitive behavioral therapy for schizophrenia. Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2010;33:3.
- Staying well when you have a mental health condition. Mental Health America. http://www.nmha.org/go/mental-health-month/staying-well-when-you-have-a-mental-illness. Accessed Sept. 29, 2010.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 16, 2010.