Treatment of the dislocation depends on the site and severity of your injury and may include:
Jan. 25, 2014
- Reduction. During this process, your doctor may try some gentle maneuvers to help your bones back into position. Depending on the amount of pain and swelling, you may need a local anesthetic or even a general anesthetic before manipulation of your bones.
- Immobilization. After your bones are back in their right positions, your doctor may immobilize your joint with a splint or sling for several weeks. How long you wear the splint or sling depends on the joint involved and the extent of damage to nerves, blood vessels and supporting tissues.
- Surgery. You may need surgery if your doctor can't move your dislocated bones back into their correct positions or if the nearby blood vessels, nerves or ligaments have been damaged. Surgery may also be necessary if you have had recurring dislocations, especially of your shoulder.
- Rehabilitation. After your splint or sling is removed, you'll begin a gradual rehabilitation program designed to restore your joint's range of motion and strength.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Sherman SC. Shoulder dislocation and reduction. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Joshi SV. Digit dislocation reduction. http://www.update.com/home. Accessed July 31, 2013.
- Elbow dislocation. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00029. Accessed Aug. 1, 2013.
- Laskowski ER (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 6, 2013.
- Moore BR, et al. Recognition and initial management of lateral patellar dislocation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Aug. 1, 2013.
- Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 1, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.