Besides physically examining your shoulder, your doctor may order the following tests:
Aug. 31, 2011
- X-ray. An X-ray of your shoulder joint will show the dislocation and may reveal broken bones or other damage to your shoulder joint.
- MRI. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) uses a magnetic field to create cross-sectional images of the body. These images help your doctor assess damage to the soft tissue structures around your shoulder joint.
- Electromyography (EMG). An EMG is a procedure that measures the electrical discharges produced in your muscles. An instrument records the electrical activity in your muscle at rest and as you contract the muscle. Analyzing the electrical signals may help your doctor evaluate nerve damage caused by severe or repeated shoulder dislocation.
- Sherman SC, et al. Shoulder dislocation and reduction. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed July 20, 2011.
- Ronai P. Exercise and shoulder pain. American College of Sports Medicine. http://www.acsm.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Current_Comments1&Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=11050. Accessed July 20, 2011.
- Rudzinski JP, et al. Shoulder and humerus injuries. In: Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=612479. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Coleman R, et al. Orthopedic emergencies. In: Stone CK, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Emergency Medicine. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=3102784. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Dodson CC, et al. Anterior glenohumeral joint dislocations. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2008;39:507.
- Quillen DM, et al. Acute shoulder injuries. American Family Physician. 2004;70:1947.
- Questions and answers about shoulder problems. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Shoulder_Problems/default.asp. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Zacchilli MA, et al. Epidemiology of shoulder dislocations presenting to emergency departments in the United States. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2010;92:542.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.