You may have no signs or symptoms with DISH. For those who have signs and symptoms, the upper portion of the back (thoracic spine) is most commonly affected. Signs and symptoms may include:
- Stiffness. Stiffness may be most noticeable in the morning.
- Pain. You may feel pain in your back or in other affected areas, such as your shoulder, elbow, knee or heel.
- Loss of range of motion. You may notice this most when stretching side to side.
- Difficulty swallowing or a hoarse voice. You may experience these if you have DISH in your neck.
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your doctor if you have persistent pain or stiffness in any joint or in your back.
Nov. 02, 2012
- Fierstein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/194678336-3/982047756/1807/375.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3285-4..10053-1--s1130_1650. Accessed Aug. 31, 2012.
- Browner BD. Skeletal Trauma. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2220-6..X1000-6&isbn=978-1-4160-2220-6&uniqId=357104634-4#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2220-6..X1000-6-TOP. Accessed Aug. 31, 2012.
- Imboden JB, et al. Current Rheumatology Diagnosis & Treatment. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2728875. Accessed Aug. 31, 2012.
- Taljanovic MS, et al. Imaging characteristics of diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperstosis with an emphasis on acute spinal fractures: Review. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2009;193:S10.
- Westerveld LA, et al. Spinal fractures in patients with ankylosing spinal disorders: A systematic review of the literature on treatment, neurological status and complications. European Spine Journal. 2009;18:145.
- Mader R, et al. Extraspinal manifestations of diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis. Rheumatology. 2009;48:1478.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.