People with DISH are at risk of certain complications, such as:
Nov. 02, 2012
- Disability. Loss of range of motion in the affected joint can make it difficult to use that joint. For instance, DISH in your shoulder can make it difficult and painful to use your arm.
- Difficulty swallowing. Bone spurs in the neck can put pressure on your esophagus, making it difficult to swallow. The pressure from bone spurs can also cause a hoarse voice or sleep apnea, a sleep disorder in which you stop breathing repeatedly. Rarely, this can become serious and may require surgery to remove the bone spurs.
- Spinal fracture. DISH can increase your risk of breaking bones in your spine, especially if you have moderate to severe disease. Even minor injuries can cause fractures. Breaks may require surgery to repair.
- Fierstein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/194678336-3/982047756/1807/375.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3285-4..10053-1--s1130_1650. Accessed Aug. 31, 2012.
- Browner BD. Skeletal Trauma. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2220-6..X1000-6&isbn=978-1-4160-2220-6&uniqId=357104634-4#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-2220-6..X1000-6-TOP. Accessed Aug. 31, 2012.
- Imboden JB, et al. Current Rheumatology Diagnosis & Treatment. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2728875. Accessed Aug. 31, 2012.
- Taljanovic MS, et al. Imaging characteristics of diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperstosis with an emphasis on acute spinal fractures: Review. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2009;193:S10.
- Westerveld LA, et al. Spinal fractures in patients with ankylosing spinal disorders: A systematic review of the literature on treatment, neurological status and complications. European Spine Journal. 2009;18:145.
- Mader R, et al. Extraspinal manifestations of diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis. Rheumatology. 2009;48:1478.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.