Regular A1C tests can help your doctor monitor your diabetes. Find out how often you need A1C tests and what the results mean for you.
Coma is often a complication from a severe brain injury that leaves a person unconscious and unresponsive. Many people recover from this condition.
A diabetic coma is a medical emergency. Minimize the effects with prompt treatment.
Frequent urination, the need to urinate more often than usual, can indicate several disorders of the urinary tract.
Hyperglycemia in diabetes — Comprehensive overview covers causes, symptoms and treatments of high blood sugar.
Jun. 20, 2012
- McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=15524. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Gardner DG, et al. Greenspan's Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=8407307. Accessed March 8, 2012.
- Hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic syndrome (HHNS). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/hyperosmolar-hyperglycemic.html. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Chaithongdi N, et al. Diagnosis and management of hyperglycemic emergencies. Hormones. 2011;10:250.
- Nyenwe EA, et al. Evidence-based management of hyperglycemic emergencies in diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 2011;94:340.
- Living healthy with diabetes. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/seniors/living-healthy-with-diabetes.html. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Collazo-Clavell ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 15, 2012.
- Keeping your family healthy. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/seniors/planning-for-a-healthy-life/keeping-your-family-healthy.html. Accessed March 21, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.