Coma is often a complication from a severe brain injury that leaves a person unconscious and unresponsive. Many people recover from this condition.
Hyperglycemia in diabetes — Comprehensive overview covers causes, symptoms and treatments of high blood sugar.
Tests and diagnosis
Regular A1C tests can help your doctor monitor your diabetes. Find out how often you need A1C tests and what the results mean for you.
Jun. 20, 2012
- McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=15524. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Gardner DG, et al. Greenspan's Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=8407307. Accessed March 8, 2012.
- Hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic syndrome (HHNS). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/hyperosmolar-hyperglycemic.html. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Chaithongdi N, et al. Diagnosis and management of hyperglycemic emergencies. Hormones. 2011;10:250.
- Nyenwe EA, et al. Evidence-based management of hyperglycemic emergencies in diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 2011;94:340.
- Living healthy with diabetes. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/seniors/living-healthy-with-diabetes.html. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Collazo-Clavell ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 15, 2012.
- Keeping your family healthy. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/seniors/planning-for-a-healthy-life/keeping-your-family-healthy.html. Accessed March 21, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.