If you experience diabetic hyperosmolar syndrome, prompt diagnosis is critical. The emergency medical team will do a physical exam and may ask those who are with you about your medical history.
You may need various lab tests to measure:
- Your current blood sugar level
- Glycated hemoglobin (A1C) — a blood test that indicates your average blood sugar level for the past two to three months
- Whether or not ketones are present in your urine — ketones are byproducts made when fat is used as fuel instead of glucose
- Your kidney function, by testing the amount of blood urea nitrogen or creatinine in your blood
- The amount of potassium, phosphate and sodium in your blood
You'll be diagnosed with diabetic hyperosmolar syndrome if your blood sugar level is 600 mg/dL (33.3 mmol/L) or higher.
Jun. 20, 2012
- McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=15524. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Gardner DG, et al. Greenspan's Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=8407307. Accessed March 8, 2012.
- Hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic syndrome (HHNS). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/hyperosmolar-hyperglycemic.html. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Chaithongdi N, et al. Diagnosis and management of hyperglycemic emergencies. Hormones. 2011;10:250.
- Nyenwe EA, et al. Evidence-based management of hyperglycemic emergencies in diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 2011;94:340.
- Living healthy with diabetes. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/seniors/living-healthy-with-diabetes.html. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Collazo-Clavell ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 15, 2012.
- Keeping your family healthy. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/seniors/planning-for-a-healthy-life/keeping-your-family-healthy.html. Accessed March 21, 2012.