Diabetic hyperosmolar (hi-pur-oz-MOE-lur) syndrome is a serious condition that develops when your blood sugar reaches a very high level. When your blood sugar gets to this level, your blood becomes thick and syrupy, causing diabetic hyperosmolar syndrome. Excess sugar passes from your blood into your urine, triggering a filtering process that draws tremendous amounts of fluid from your body.
Diabetic hyperosmolar syndrome usually affects people with type 2 diabetes, and may develop in people who haven't yet been diagnosed with diabetes.
Left untreated, diabetic hyperosmolar syndrome can lead to life-threatening dehydration. Prompt medical care is essential.
Jun. 20, 2012
- McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2012. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=15524. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Gardner DG, et al. Greenspan's Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=8407307. Accessed March 8, 2012.
- Hyperosmolar hyperglycemic nonketotic syndrome (HHNS). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/hyperosmolar-hyperglycemic.html. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Chaithongdi N, et al. Diagnosis and management of hyperglycemic emergencies. Hormones. 2011;10:250.
- Nyenwe EA, et al. Evidence-based management of hyperglycemic emergencies in diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 2011;94:340.
- Living healthy with diabetes. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/seniors/living-healthy-with-diabetes.html. Accessed March 11, 2012.
- Collazo-Clavell ML (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 15, 2012.
- Keeping your family healthy. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/seniors/planning-for-a-healthy-life/keeping-your-family-healthy.html. Accessed March 21, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.