Regular A1C tests can help your doctor monitor your diabetes. Find out how often you need A1C tests and what the results mean for you.
If you have diabetes, you're at increased risk of various bone and joint disorders. Consider symptoms and treatment options.
Diabetes increases your risk of dental problems, but there's plenty you can do to promote healthy teeth and gums. Here's how.
Exercise offers great benefits when you have diabetes. To avoid potential problems, check your blood sugar before, during and after exercise.
Sweet news for dessert lovers! When you have diabetes, sweets aren't necessarily off-limits.
Diabetes symptoms are often subtle. Pay attention to the clues your body's giving you.
Love to eat out? Make restaurant meals a healthy part of your diabetes meal plan.
Curious about exercise and chronic disease? Get the answers to your questions.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Frequent urination, the need to urinate more often than usual, can indicate several disorders of the urinary tract.
Glucose tolerance test — Overview covers definition, preparation, results of this diabetes blood test.
Hemochromatosis causes your body to store large amounts of iron, which can cause life-threatening complications. The simple treatment is to regularly remove blood.
Uncontrolled high blood pressure can lead to various life-threatening conditions. But it's easily detected — and you can work with your doctor to control it.
Insulin comes in many types. Consider how each type affects your blood sugar.
Intensive insulin therapy can help prevent long-term diabetes complications. Find out whether intensive insulin therapy is right for you.
What you eat is up to you. Comparing food labels can help you make wise choices.
Understanding how insulin affects your blood sugar can help you better manage your condition.
Jul. 31, 2014
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookId=330. Accessed April 27, 2014.
- Standards of medical care in diabetes — 2014. Diabetes Care. 2014;37:s14.
- Diabetes mellitus (DM). The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/diabetes_mellitus_and_disorders_of_carbohydrate_metabolism/diabetes_mellitus_dm.html. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- Atkinson MA, et al. Type 1 diabetes. The Lancet. 2014;383:69.
- What is gestational diabetes? American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/gestational/what-is-gestational-diabetes.html. Accessed May 9, 2014.
- Gardner DG, et al. Greenspan's Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=13. Accessed April 27, 2014.
- Diabetes & pregnancy. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/Features/DiabetesPregnancy/. Accessed May 9, 2014.
- Gestational diabetes mellitus. Washington, D.C.: American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=47014. Accessed May 9, 2014.
- Levitsky LL, et al. Special situations in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2014.
- Peyser T, et al. The artificial pancreas: Current status and future prospects in the management of diabetes. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2014;1311:102.
- Bergenstal RM, et al. Threshold-based insulin-pump interruption for reduction of hypoglycemia. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;369:224.
- Hyperglycemia (High blood glucose). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/hyperglycemia.html. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- DKA (ketoacidosis) & ketones. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/ketoacidosis-dka.html. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- Natural medicines in the clinical management of diabetes. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed May 10, 2014.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Accessed May 6, 2014.
- Diabetes and metabolism — The how of clinical studies. Discovery's Edge: Mayo Clinic's Online Research Magazine. http://www.mayo.edu/research/discoverys-edge/diabetes-metabolism-how-clinical-studies. Accessed May 10, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.