ResearchBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Mayo Clinic is a leader in diabetes research. At the Mayo Clinic Center for Regenerative Medicine researchers are working on ways to regenerate the cells that produce insulin (beta cells). They are working on ways to enhance the body's natural ability to regenerate these cells, as well as ways to regenerate beta cells in the lab. Mayo Clinic researchers are also developing new technologies to help people living with diabetes. In the Mayo Clinic Artificial Pancreas Laboratory, researchers are working on a system that combines the use of an insulin pump, a continuous glucose monitor, and a sophisticated computer program that predicts and reacts to blood sugar levels. Clinical trials are underway. This work is supported by the National Institutes of Health. Researchers are also investigating mechanisms responsible for abnormal glucose metabolism in people with diabetes and prediabetes. Research will help determine the cause of diabetes and related disorders in order to develop new treatments.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on diabetes on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
July 31, 2014
- Ananda Basu, MBBS, M.D.
- Rita Basu, M.D.
- Adil E. Bharucha, MBBS, M.D.
- Yasuhiro Ikeda, D.VM., Ph.D.
- Nina J. Karlin, M.D.
- Frank P. Kennedy, M.D.
- Yogish C. Kudva, MBBS
- John M. Miles, M.D.
- K. Sreekumaran Nair, M.D., Ph.D.
- Robert A. Rizza, M.D.
- Steven A. Smith, M.D.
- Adrian Vella, M.D.
- Richard O. White, M.D.
- Pankaj Shah, M.D.
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookId=330. Accessed April 27, 2014.
- Standards of medical care in diabetes — 2014. Diabetes Care. 2014;37:s14.
- Diabetes mellitus (DM). The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/diabetes_mellitus_and_disorders_of_carbohydrate_metabolism/diabetes_mellitus_dm.html. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- Atkinson MA, et al. Type 1 diabetes. The Lancet. 2014;383:69.
- What is gestational diabetes? American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/gestational/what-is-gestational-diabetes.html. Accessed May 9, 2014.
- Gardner DG, et al. Greenspan's Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=13. Accessed April 27, 2014.
- Diabetes & pregnancy. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/Features/DiabetesPregnancy/. Accessed May 9, 2014.
- Gestational diabetes mellitus. Washington, D.C.: American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=47014. Accessed May 9, 2014.
- Levitsky LL, et al. Special situations in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 27, 2014.
- Peyser T, et al. The artificial pancreas: Current status and future prospects in the management of diabetes. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2014;1311:102.
- Bergenstal RM, et al. Threshold-based insulin-pump interruption for reduction of hypoglycemia. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;369:224.
- Hyperglycemia (High blood glucose). American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/hyperglycemia.html. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- DKA (ketoacidosis) & ketones. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/ketoacidosis-dka.html. Accessed April 29, 2014.
- Natural medicines in the clinical management of diabetes. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed May 10, 2014.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Accessed May 6, 2014.
- Diabetes and metabolism — The how of clinical studies. Discovery's Edge: Mayo Clinic's Online Research Magazine. http://www.mayo.edu/research/discoverys-edge/diabetes-metabolism-how-clinical-studies. Accessed May 10, 2014.