Acute sinusitis occurs when your sinus cavities become inflamed. Antibiotics, decongestants and corticosteroids may relieve pain and congestion and prevent development of chronic sinusitis.
Chronic sinusitis involves long-term inflammation or infection of the sinus cavities. Medications can help, and in rare cases surgery can treat this painful condition.
Aug. 13, 2013
- Fact sheet: Deviated septum. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/deviatedSeptum.cfm. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Rakel RE. Textbook of Family Medicine. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/191205553-4/0/1481/0.html#. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Septal deviation and perforation. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/ear_nose_and_throat_disorders/nose_and_paranasal_sinus_disorders/septal_deviation_and_perforation.html. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Bhattacharyya N. Clinical presentation, diagnosis, and treatment of nasal obstruction. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Rhinoplasty. American Rhinologic Society. http://care.american-rhinologic.org/rhinoplasty_overview. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Antihistamines, decongestants, and cold remedies. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/coldRemedies.cfm. Accessed May 6, 2013.
- Pallanch JF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 23, 2013.
- Chaaban M, et al. Assessing nasal air flow — Options and utility. Proceedings of the American Thoracic Society. 2011;8:70.
- Wang MB. Etiologies of nasal symptoms: An overview. www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 8, 2013.
- Fact sheet: Your nose, the guardian of your lungs. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/lungGuardian.cfm. Accessed July 8, 2013.
- Corticosteroid (nasal route). Micromedex Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedex.com. Accessed July 8, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.