Peptic ulcers are painful sores that commonly affect the lining of your stomach and upper small intestine. The most frequent cause is a treatable infection.
Difficulty swallowing can be painful and may indicate a serious medical problem.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Unexplained weight loss: Symptom — Overview covers possible causes of unexplained weight loss.
Tests and diagnosis
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Find out what you can expect during a skin biopsy.
Jul. 07, 2011
- NINDS dermatomyositis information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dermatomyositis/dermatomyositis.htm. Accessed June 13, 2011.
- Dalakas MC. Inflammatory disorders of muscle: Progress in polymyositis, dermatomyositis and inclusion body myositis. Current Opinion in Neurology. 2004;17:561.
- Miller ML. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of adult dermatomyositis and polymyositis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed June 1, 2011.
- Greenberg SA, et al. Uncertainties in the pathogenesis of adult dermatomyositis. Current Opinion in Neurology. 2004;17:359.
- Santmyire-Rosenberger B, et al. Skin involvement in dermatomyositis. Current Opinion in Rheumatology. 2003;15:714.
- Baer AN, et al. Polymyositis & dermatomyositis. In: Imboden JB, et al. Current Rheumatology Diagnosis & Treatment. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=2726184. Accessed June 6, 2011.
- Cordeiro AC, et al. Treatment of inflammatory myopathies. Postgraduate Medical Journal. 2006;82:417.
- Walker UA. Imaging tools for the clinical assessment of idiopathic inflammatory myositis. Current Opinion in Rheumatology. 2008;20:656.
- Miller ML, et al. Initial treatment of dermatomyositis and polymyositis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed June 1, 2011.
- Miller ML, et al. Treatment of recurrent and resistant dermatomyositis and polymyositis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed June 1, 2011.
- Dimachkie MM. Idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. Journal of Neuroimmunology. 2011;231:32.
- Koski CL, et al. Intravenous immunoglobulin use for neurologic diseases. Journal of Infusion Nursing. 2006;29:S21.
- Medications. The Myositis Association. http://www.myositis.org/template/page.cfm?id=304. Accessed June 9, 2011.