Dermatitis is a general term that describes an inflammation of the skin. Dermatitis can have many causes and occurs in many forms. It usually involves an itchy rash on swollen, reddened skin.
Skin affected by dermatitis may blister, ooze, develop a crust or flake off. Examples of dermatitis include atopic dermatitis (eczema), dandruff, and rashes caused by contact with any of a number of substances, such as poison ivy, soaps and jewelry with nickel in it.
Dermatitis is a common condition that's not contagious and usually isn't life-threatening. Even so, it can make you feel uncomfortable and self-conscious. A combination of self-care steps and medications can help you treat dermatitis.
Jan. 02, 2015
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookId=682. Accessed March 24, 2014.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=392. Accessed March 24, 2014.
- Eichenfield LF, et al. Guidelines of care for the management of atopic dermatitis: Section 1. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2014;70:338.
- Eichenfield LF, et al. Guidelines of care for the management of atopic dermatitis: Section 2. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2014;71:116.
- Sidbury R, et al. Guidelines of care for the management of atopic dermatitis: Section 3. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2014;71:327.
- Pride HB, et al. What's new in pediatric dermatology? Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2013;68:899.e1.
- Bovine cartilage. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Rice bran. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 10, 2013.
- Atopic dermatitis. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Disorders. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Atopic_Dermatitis/default.asp. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Wong S, et al. Efficacy and safety of sodium hypochlorite (bleach) baths in patients with moderate to severe atopic dermatitis in Malaysia. Journal of Dermatology. 2013;40:874.
- Ibler KS, et al. Hand eczema: Prevalence and risk factors of hand eczema in a population of 2,274 health care workers. Contact Dermatitis. 2012;67:200.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 7, 2014.
- Pizzorno JE, et al. Textbook of Natural Medicine. 4th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 20, 2014.
- Diphenhydramine. MedlinePlus. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682539.html. Accessed Nov. 17, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.