While mild traumatic brain injury generally results in few long-term problems, more severe injury can cause several physical, emotional, behavioral, communication and cognitive problems.
Coping and support
Curious about mental health? Discover what shapes the definitions of mental health and mental illness.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Caregivers are vulnerable to depression — but you can take active steps to prevent depression and feel your best. Consider these tips.
Aches and pains, irritability, and crying spells may have an unexpected source — stress. Recognize these and other signs and symptoms so that you can take action.
Male depression may be hard to recognize and treat. See what's behind the problem and how men can learn healthy coping strategies.
Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Tests and diagnosis
Treatments and drugs
Most antidepressant side effects aren't dangerous, but they can be bothersome. Here's what to do.
Atypical antidepressants may be prescribed on their own or added to other antidepressants to boost effectiveness or counter side effects.
These older antidepressants are effective, but require diet restrictions and cause side effects. Find out about the MAOI skin patch — it may cause fewer problems.
If your depression continues despite standard treatment, it may feel like you're out of options. But there are still steps that may help.
Cyclic antidepressants can cause more side effects than other antidepressants do. But sometimes, they can be a good choice.
June 09, 2017
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 17, 2016.
- Research report: Psychiatry and psychology, 2016-2017. Mayo Clinic. http://www.mayo.edu/research/departments-divisions/department-psychiatry-psychology/overview?_ga=1.199925222.939187614.1464371889. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- Depressive disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- Depression. National Institute of Mental Health. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- Depression. National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Conditions/Depression/Overview. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- Depression: What you need to know. National Institute of Mental Health. https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/depression-what-you-need-to-know/index.shtml. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- What is depression? American Psychiatric Association. https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/depression/what-is-depression. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- Depression. NIH Senior Health. https://nihseniorhealth.gov/depression/aboutdepression/01.html. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- Children’s mental health: Anxiety and depression. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/childrensmentalhealth/depression.html#depression. Accessed. Jan. 23, 2017.
- Depression and complementary health approaches: What the science says. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/providers/digest/depression-science. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- Depression. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/databases/medical-conditions/d/depression.aspx. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- Natural medicines in the clinical management of depression. Natural Medicines. http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com/ce/CECourse.aspx?cs=naturalstandard&s=ND&pm=5&pc=15-111. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- The road to resilience. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/road-resilience.aspx. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- Simon G, et al. Unipolar depression in adults: Choosing initial treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- Stewart D, et al. Risks of antidepressants during pregnancy: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- Kimmel MC, et al. Safety of infant exposure to antidepressants and benzodiazepines through breastfeeding. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- Bipolar and related disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Jan. 23, 2017.
- Hirsch M, et al. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) for treating depressed adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 24, 2017.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 31, 2017.
- Krieger CA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 2, 2017.
Depression (major depressive disorder)