Treatment of depersonalization-derealization disorder is primarily psychotherapy. However, sometimes medications may be added to your treatment plan.
Psychotherapy, also called counseling or talk therapy, is the main treatment. The goal is to gain control over the symptoms so that they lessen or go away. Two such psychotherapies include cognitive behavioral therapy and psychodynamic therapy.
Psychotherapy can help you:
- Understand why depersonalization and derealization occur
- Learn techniques that distract from your symptoms and make you feel more connected to your world and feelings
- Learn coping strategies to deal with stressful situations and times of extreme stress
- Address the emotions related to past trauma you've experienced
- Address other mental health conditions such as anxiety or depression
There are no medications specifically approved to treat depersonalization-derealization disorder. However, medications may be used to treat specific symptoms or to treat depression and anxiety that are often associated with the disorder.
May 16, 2017
- Depersonalization/derealization disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed March 20, 2017.
Spiegel D, et al. Depersonalization/derealization disorder. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/psychiatric-disorders/dissociative-disorders/depersonalization-derealization-disorder. Accessed March 20, 2017.
Gentile JP, et al. Stress and trauma: Psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy for depersonalization/derealization disorder. Innovations in Clinical Neuroscience. 2014;11:37.
Gabbard GO, ed. Depersonalization/derealization disorder. In: Gabbard's Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2014. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed March 20, 2017.
Simeon D. Depersonalization/derealization disorder: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, course, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 20, 2017.
Simeon D. Pharmacotherapy of depersonalization/derealization disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 20, 2017.
Simeon D. Psychotherapy of depersonalization/derealization disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 20, 2017.
Palmer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 24, 2017.