Episodes of depersonalization or derealization can be frightening. They can cause:
May 24, 2014
- Difficulty focusing on tasks or remembering things
- Interference with work and other routine activities
- Problems in relationships with your family and friends
- Depersonalization/derealization disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed March 18, 2014.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed March 23. 2013.
- Somer E, et al. Evidence-based treatment for depersonalisation-derealisation disorder (DPRD). BMC Psychology. 2013;1:20.
- Simeon D. Depersonalization derealization disorder: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, course, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 24, 2014.
- Simeon D. Treatment of depersonalization derealization disorder. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 24, 2014.
- Palmer BA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 1, 2014.