Mayo Clinic doctors trained in sleep medicine, including doctors trained in lung and breathing conditions (pulmonary medicine), mental health conditions (psychiatry), brain conditions (neurology) and other areas, evaluate and treat people who have delayed sleep phase.
Your doctor will work with you to create a plan for you to treat your condition.
Your plan may include:
July 16, 2014
- Improving sleep hygiene. Your doctor may recommend you maintain a regular sleep schedule, avoid caffeine and stimulating activities near bedtime, avoid tobacco and alcohol, and other changes to improve your sleep hygiene.
- Chronotherapy. In chronotherapy, doctors may prescribe you a sleep schedule that delays your bedtime by two to three hours every two days, until the desired bedtime is reached. You should maintain your sleep schedule once it is established.
- Light therapy. Having light exposure in the morning may adjust your internal sleep clock (circadian rhythm).
- Melatonin supplements. Doctors may prescribe a melatonin supplement to take in the afternoon or early evening, to help adjust your circadian rhythm.
- Carter KA, et al. Common sleep disorders in children. American Family Physician. 2014;89:368.
- Barkoukis TJ, et al. Therapy in Sleep Medicine. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 14, 2014.
- Gradisar M, et al. Assessment and treatment of delayed sleep phase disorder in adolescents: Recent innovations and cautions. Sleep Medicine Clinics. In press. May 14, 2014.
- Sack RL, et al. Circadian rhythm sleep disorders: Part II, advanced sleep phase disorder, delayed sleep phase disorder, free-running disorder, and irregular sleep-wake rhythm. Sleep. 2007;30:1484.
- Morgenthaler TI, et al. Practice parameters for the clinical evaluation and treatment of circadian rhythm sleep disorders. Sleep. 2007;30:1445.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 24, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.