Some men with delayed ejaculation need 30 minutes or more of sexual stimulation to have an orgasm and ejaculate, or they may not be able to ejaculate at all (anejaculation). In the most common form of delayed ejaculation, a man can't reach orgasm during sexual intercourse — but can ejaculate with oral or manual stimulation of the penis. Some men can ejaculate only when masturbating.
Delayed orgasm is divided into the following types based on symptoms:
- Lifelong vs. acquired. With lifelong delayed ejaculation, the problem is present from the time a male reaches sexual maturity. Acquired delayed ejaculation occurs after a period of normal sexual functioning.
- Generalized vs. situational. Generalized delayed ejaculation isn't limited to certain sex partners or certain kinds of stimulation. Situational delayed ejaculation occurs only under certain circumstances.
These categories help in diagnosing an underlying cause, and determining what might be the most effective treatment.
When to see a doctor
Your family doctor is a good place to start when you have delayed ejaculation. See your doctor if:
May. 24, 2012
- Delayed ejaculation is an issue for you or your partner
- You have another known health problem that may be linked to delayed ejaculation, or you take medications that could be causing the problem
- You have other symptoms along with delayed ejaculation that may or may not seem related
- Sexual and gender identity disorders. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed April 4, 2012.
- Rowland D, et al. Disorders of orgasm and ejaculation in men. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010;7:1668.
- Cunningham GR, et al. Overview of male sexual dysfunction. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 5, 2012.
- Montorsi F, et al. Summary of the recommendations on sexual dysfunctions in men. Journal of Sexual Medicine. 2010;7:3572.
- Althof SE. Psychological factors associated with male sexual dysfunction: Screening and treatment for the urologist. Urological Clinics of North America. 2011;38:141.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.