Find out what's behind this life-threatening eating disorder and how to treat it.
C. difficile can be a life-threatening infection. It typically develops when antibiotics destroy other bacteria in your intestines, allowing C. difficile to flourish.
Food poisoning has many forms, and some can be serious. Here's how to recognize food poisoning and ways to prevent getting sick.
Low blood pressure (hypotension) can be a sign of good health or of a life-threatening condition. Find out more about hypotension's causes and treatment options.
Extreme temperatures — hot or cold — can take a toll on your skin. Here's how to pamper and protect it.
Don't be in a hurry to treat a low-grade fever — it's probably helping your body fight infection. High or lasting fevers may need medical attention.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Tests and diagnosis
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Feb. 12, 2014
- Dehydration in children. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/dehydration_and_fluid_therapy_in_children/dehydration_in_children.html?qt=&sc=&alt=. Accessed Aug.19, 2013.
- Somers MJ. Clinical assessment and diagnosis of hypovolemia (dehydration) in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 17, 2013.
- Sterns RH. Etiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of volume depletion in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 17, 2013.
- Diarrhea. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/diarrhea/. Accessed Aug. 18, 2013.
- Popkin BM, et al. Water, hydration, and health. Nutrition Reviews. 2010;68:439.
- Selecting and effectively using hydration for fitness. American College of Sports Medicine. http://www.acsm.org/docs/brochures/selecting-and-effectively-using-hydration-for-fitness.pdf. Accessed Aug. 16, 2013.
- Rodriguez NR, et al. Position of the American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, and the American College of Sports Medicine: Nutrition and athletic performance. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 2009;41:709.
- Montain SJ. Hydration recommendations for sport 2008. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2008;7:187.
- Thomas DR, et al. Understanding clinical dehydration and its treatment. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association. 2008;9:292.
- Niescierenko M. Advances in pediatric dehydration therapy. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2013;25:304.
- Canavan A, et al. Diagnosis and management of dehydration in children. American Family Physician. 2009;80:692.
- Sterns RH. General principles of disorders of water balance (hyponatremia and hypernatremia) and sodium balance (hypovolemia and edema). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 17, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.