In addition to regular shampooing, you can take steps to reduce your risk of developing dandruff:
Jan. 23, 2014
- Learn to manage stress. Stress affects your overall health, making you susceptible to a number of conditions and diseases. It can even help trigger dandruff or worsen existing symptoms.
- Shampoo often. If you tend to have an oily scalp, daily shampooing may help prevent dandruff.
- Cut back on styling products. Hair sprays, styling gels, mousses and hair waxes can all build up on your hair and scalp, making them oilier.
- Eat a healthy diet. A diet that provides enough zinc, B vitamins and certain types of fats may help prevent dandruff.
- Get a little sun. Sunlight may be good for dandruff. But because exposure to ultraviolet light damages your skin and increases your risk of skin cancer, don't sunbathe. Instead, just spend a little time outdoors. And be sure to wear sunscreen on your face and body.
- Sasseville D. Seborrheic dermatitis in adolescents and adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 2, 2013.
- Dandruff. American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. http://www.aocd.org/?page=Dandruff&hhSearchTerms=Dandruff. Accessed July 2, 2013.
- Seborrheic dermatitis. American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. http://www.aocd.org/?page=SeborrheicDermatiti. Accessed July 2, 2013.
- Dessinioti C, et al. Seborrheic dermatitis: Etiology, risk factors, and treatments: Facts and controversies. Clinics in Dermatology. 2013;31:343.
- Types of eczema: Seborrheic dermatitis. EczemaNet. http://www.skincarephysicians.com/eczemanet/seborrheic_dermatitis.html. Accessed July 2, 2013.
- Contact dermatitis. American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Types/skin-allergies/Pages/contact-dermatitis.aspx. Accessed July 3, 2013.
- Tea tree oil: Side effects and cautions. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/tea/treeoil.htm?nav=gsa#science. Accessed July 3, 2013.
- Pazyar N, et al. A review of applications of tea tree oil in dermatology. International Journal of Dermatology. 2013;52:784.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.