Intestinal obstruction — a serious condition that requires prompt medical attention — occurs when a blockage of the intestine prevents food or fluid from passing through.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Wheezing is commonly associated with asthma, but there are many possible causes of this symptom.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Genetic testing is used to detect altered genes that may cause illness or disease. Although genetic testing can offer important health information, it has limitations.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Treatments and drugs
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy, a procedure used to increase blood oxygen levels, can help wounds heal, fight infection and treat decompression sickness.
For people with lung disease, a lung transplant may be an option when other treatments are no longer helpful or lung function is life-threatening.
Jun. 13, 2012
- What is cystic fibrosis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cf/. Accessed March 26, 2012.
- Goldman L, et al. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-1604-7..C2009-0-42832-0--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-1604-7&uniqId=327451096-2. Accessed March 26, 2012.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4377-0755-7..C2009-0-60010-6--TOP&isbn=978-1-4377-0755-7&uniqId=327451096-2. Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Cystic fibrosis. National Library of Medicine. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/cystic-fibrosis. Accessed April 2, 2012.
- What is bronchiectasis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/brn/brn_whatis.html. Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Cohen-Cymberknoh M, et al. Managing cystic fibrosis: strategies that increase life expectancy and improve quality of life. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2011;183:1463.
- Rogan MP, et al. Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator intracellular processing, trafficking, and opportunities for mutation-specific treatment. Chest. 2011;139:1480.
- Mogayzel PJ, et al. Update in cystic fibrosis 2010. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2011;183:1620.