Make an appointment with your doctor if you or your child has signs or symptoms common to cystic fibrosis. After the initial evaluation, you may be referred to a doctor trained in evaluating and treating cystic fibrosis.
Here's some information to help you prepare for your appointment, as well as what to expect from your doctor.
What you can do
You may want to write a list that answers these questions:
- What symptoms are you or your child experiencing?
- When did the symptoms start, and does anything make them better or worse?
- Has anyone in your family ever had cystic fibrosis?
- Has growth been normal and weight been stable?
What to expect from your doctor
After obtaining detailed information about the symptoms and your family's medical history, your doctor may order some tests to help with diagnosis.
Oct. 13, 2016
- What is cystic fibrosis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cf. Accessed July 1, 2016.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Cystic fibrosis. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 13, 2016.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Cystic fibrosis. In: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 20th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 13, 2016.
- National Library of Medicine. Cystic fibrosis. Genetics Home Reference. https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/cystic-fibrosis. Accessed May 3, 2016.
- What is bronchiectasis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/brn. Accessed April 13, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Cystic fibrosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Katkin JP. Cystic fibrosis: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 13, 2016.
- Katkin JP. Cystic fibrosis: Genetics and pathogenesis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 28, 2016.
- Anatomic problems of the lower GI tract. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/anatomic-colon/Pages/facts.aspx#Intussusception. Accessed June 24, 2016.
- Simon RH. Cystic fibrosis: Overview of the treatment of lung disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 13, 2016.
- Simon RH, et al. Cystic fibrosis: Investigational therapies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 28, 2016.
- Quon BS, et al. New and emerging targeted therapies for cystic fibrosis. BMJ. 2016;352:i859.
- Elborn JS. Cystic fibrosis. Lancet. In press. Accessed June 15, 2016.
- Orkambi (prescribing information). Boston, Mass.: Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc.; 2016. http://pi.vrtx.com/files/uspi_lumacaftor_ivacaftor.pdf. Accessed June 30, 2016.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 8, 2016.
- Erasmus DB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Aug. 4, 2016.