Make an appointment with your doctor if you or your child has signs or symptoms common to cystic fibrosis. After the initial evaluation, you may be referred to a doctor who specializes in cystic fibrosis.
Here's some information to help you prepare for your appointment, as well as what to expect from your doctor.
What you can do
You may want to write a list that answers these questions:
- What symptoms are you or your child experiencing?
- When did the symptoms start, and does anything make them better or worse?
- Has anyone in your family ever had cystic fibrosis?
- Has growth been normal and weight been stable?
What to expect from your doctor
After obtaining detailed information about the symptoms and your family's medical history, your doctor may order some tests to help with diagnosis.
July 07, 2015
- What is cystic fibrosis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cf/. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Goldman L, et al. Cystic fibrosis. In: Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Cystic fibrosis. In: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Cystic fibrosis. National Library of Medicine. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/cystic-fibrosis. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- What is bronchiectasis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/brn/. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Cohen-Cymberknoh M, et al. Managing cystic fibrosis: Strategies that increase life expectancy and improve quality of life. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2011;183:1463.
- Rogan MP, et al. Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator intracellular processing, trafficking, and opportunities for mutation-specific treatment. Chest. 2011;139:1480.
- Mogayzel PJ, et al. Update in cystic fibrosis 2010. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2011;183:1620.
- AskMayoExpert. Cystic fibrosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Katkin JP. Cystic fibrosis: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Wenstrom KD. Cystic fibrosis: Prenatal genetic screening. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Simon RH. Cystic fibrosis: Overview of the treatment of lung disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Pianosi PT (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 30, 2015.
- Colombo C, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of distal intestinal obstruction syndrome in cystic fibrosis patients. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis. 2011;10(suppl):S24.
- Use the right GI medications. Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. http://www.cff.org/Adults/GI/Basics/GIMedications. Accessed July 1, 2015.