Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disorder that causes severe damage to the lungs and digestive system.
Cystic fibrosis affects the cells that produce mucus, sweat and digestive juices. These secreted fluids are normally thin and slippery. But in people with cystic fibrosis, a defective gene causes the secretions to become thick and sticky. Instead of acting as a lubricant, the secretions plug up tubes, ducts and passageways, especially in the lungs and pancreas.
Although cystic fibrosis requires daily care, people with the condition are able to attend school and work, and have a better quality of life than in previous decades. Improvements in screening and treatments mean most people with cystic fibrosis now live into their 20s and 30s, and some are living into their 40s and 50s.
July 07, 2015
- What is cystic fibrosis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cf/. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Goldman L, et al. Cystic fibrosis. In: Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Cystic fibrosis. In: Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Cystic fibrosis. National Library of Medicine. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/cystic-fibrosis. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- What is bronchiectasis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/brn/. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Cohen-Cymberknoh M, et al. Managing cystic fibrosis: Strategies that increase life expectancy and improve quality of life. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2011;183:1463.
- Rogan MP, et al. Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator intracellular processing, trafficking, and opportunities for mutation-specific treatment. Chest. 2011;139:1480.
- Mogayzel PJ, et al. Update in cystic fibrosis 2010. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2011;183:1620.
- AskMayoExpert. Cystic fibrosis. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Katkin JP. Cystic fibrosis: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Wenstrom KD. Cystic fibrosis: Prenatal genetic screening. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Simon RH. Cystic fibrosis: Overview of the treatment of lung disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 23, 2015.
- Pianosi PT (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 30, 2015.
- Colombo C, et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of distal intestinal obstruction syndrome in cystic fibrosis patients. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis. 2011;10(suppl):S24.
- Use the right GI medications. Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. http://www.cff.org/Adults/GI/Basics/GIMedications. Accessed July 1, 2015.