Coping with cyclothymia can be difficult. Medications can have unwanted side effects, and you may feel angry or resentful about having a serious condition that requires lifelong treatment. During periods when you feel better, or during hypomanic episodes, you may be tempted to stop your cyclothymia treatment. Here are some ways to cope with cyclothymia:
June 13, 2012
- Learn about the disorder. Learning about cyclothymia and its possible complications can empower you and motivate you to stick to your treatment plan.
- Join a support group. Support groups for people with cyclothymia can help you reach out to others facing similar challenges.
- Stay focused on your goals. Successfully managing cyclothymia can take time. Stay motivated by keeping your goals in mind.
- Find healthy outlets. Explore healthy ways to channel your energy, such as hobbies, exercise and recreational activities.
- Learn relaxation and stress management. Try stress-reduction techniques such as meditation, yoga or tai chi.
- Cyclothymic disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Stovall J. Bipolar disorder in adults: Epidemiology and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 30, 2012.
- Hales RE, et al. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Psychiatry. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American Psychiatric Publishing; 2008. http://www.psychiatryonline.com/resourceToc.aspx?resourceID=5. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Muzina DJ. Bipolar spectrum disorder: Differential diagnosis and treatment. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice. 2007;34:521.
- Stovall J. Bipolar disorder in adults: Pharmacotherapy for acute mania, mixed episodes, and hypomania. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Ebert MH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Psychiatry. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=10. Accessed May 1, 2012.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 31, 2012.
- Kung S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 28, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.