Cyclic vomiting syndrome can be difficult to diagnose. There's no specific test to confirm the diagnosis, and vomiting is a sign of many conditions that must be ruled out first.
The doctor will start by asking about your child's or your medical history and conducting a physical exam. The doctor will also want to know about the pattern of symptoms that you or your child experiences.
After that, the doctor may recommend:
- Imaging studies — such as endoscopy, ultrasound or a CT scan — to check for blockages in the digestive system or signs of other digestive conditions
- Motility tests to monitor the movement of food through your digestive system and to check for digestive disorders
- Laboratory tests to check for thyroid problems and other metabolic conditions
Aug. 08, 2017
- Cyclic vomiting syndrome. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/cyclic-vomiting-syndrome/Pages/facts.aspx, Accessed Oct. 26, 2016.
- Kaul A, et al. Cyclic vomiting syndrome: A functional disorder. Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition. 2015;18:224.
- Hikita T, et al. Cyclic vomiting syndrome in infants and children: A clinical follow-up study. Pediatric Neurology. 2016;57:29.
- Desilets DJ, et al. Cyclic vomiting syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 26, 2016.
- Feldman M, et al. Nausea and vomiting. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 26, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Cyclic vomiting syndrome. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 26, 2016.
- Sezer OB, et al. A new approach to the prophylaxis of cyclic vomiting: Topiramate. Journal of Neurogastroenterology and Motility. 2016;22:656.
- AskMayoExpert. Dehydration. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Boles RG. High degree of efficacy in the treatment of cyclic vomiting syndrome with combined co-enzyme Q10, L-carnitine and amitriptyline, a case series. BMC Neurology. 2011;11:102.
- Coenzyme Q-10. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed Oct. 29, 2016.
- Propionyl-L-Carnitine. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed Oct. 29, 2016.