In most cases of croup, your child won't need to see a doctor. However, if your child's symptoms are severe or aren't responding to home treatment, you should call your doctor.
Your child's doctor will likely ask a number of questions to help determine the best course of treatment:
- What are your child's symptoms? Has your child had a fever or difficulty swallowing?
- How long has your child been experiencing symptoms?
- Has your child's cough become progressively worse? If so, how rapidly?
- Have you noticed a pattern to your child's cough? For instance, does it get worse at night?
- Has your child had croup in the past?
- Has your child recently been exposed to other sick children?
- Does your child have any other medical conditions?
- Is your child fully vaccinated?