Mayo Clinic researchers are working to improve diagnosis and treatment of Crohn's disease. Radiologists at Mayo Clinic were instrumental in developing novel bowel imaging techniques, including MR and CT enterography. Current research to refine and enhance minimally invasive intestinal surgery could benefit Crohn's disease patients in the future.
Doctors at Mayo Clinic are also actively exploring new biological therapies to help manage Crohn's disease. Some investigators are studying possible links between diet, the immune system and bacteria in the digestive tract (microbiome). Other research focuses on the genetic basis of Crohn's disease.
See a list of publications on Crohn's disease by Mayo Clinic doctors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
July 27, 2017
- What is Crohn's disease? Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-crohns-disease/. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Inflammatory bowel disease. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Ferri FF. Crohn disease. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2017. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Crohn's disease. Gastrointestinal Society. http://www.badgut.org/information-centre/a-z-digestive-topics/crohns-disease/. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Feldman M, et al. Crohn's disease. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Peppercorn MA, et al. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis and prognosis of Crohn disease in adults. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed May 11, 2017.
- Crohn's disease. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/digestive-diseases/crohns-disease. Accessed May 12, 2017.
- What is colorectal cancer screening? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/colorectal/basic_info/screening/. Accessed May 12, 2017.
- Management of Crohn's disease in adults. Bethesda, Md.: American College of Gastroenterology. http://gi.org/guideline/management-of-crohnâs-disease-in-adults/. Accessed May 13, 2017.
- Crohn's disease. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed May 12, 2017.
- Fleshner PR. Operative management of Crohn disease of the small bowel, colon, and rectum. https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 11, 2017.
- Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM). Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/resources/complementary-alternative.html. Accessed May 14, 2017.
- Lichtenstein L, et al. Probiotics and prebiotics in Crohn's disease therapies. Best Practice & Research Clinical Gastroenterology. 2016;30:81.
- Brown A. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 3, 2017.
- Diet, nutrition, and inflammatory bowel disease. Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. http://www.crohnscolitisfoundation.org/resources/diet-and-nutrition.html. Accessed May 15, 2017.
- Rajan E (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 4, 2017.