Mayo Clinic researchers study craniosynostosis and other neurological conditions. Considerable progress has been made in understanding the genetic causes of syndromic craniosynostosis, but the causes of most nonsyndromic cases remain unknown. Mayo Clinic researchers are analyzing bone removed during craniosynostosis surgery in a genome-wide search for novel genes for the condition.
Other research at Mayo Clinic involves the use of MRI rather than CT scans for diagnosis and treatment of craniosynostosis, strategies for minimizing blood transfusion during surgery, and the use of magnetic resonance elastography as a noninvasive way to measure intracranial pressure.
Read more on neurosurgery research at Mayo Clinic.
See a list of publications by Mayo doctors on craniosynostosis on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Oct. 18, 2016
- Cook AJ. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 14, 2016.
- Primary craniosynostosis. National Organization for Rare Diseases. http://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/primary-craniosynostosis/. Accessed Aug. 12, 2016.
- NINDS craniosynostosis information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/craniosynostosis/craniosynostosis.htm. Accessed Aug. 12, 2016.
- Facts about craniosynostosis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/birthdefects/craniosynostosis.html. Accessed Aug. 12, 2016.
- Buchanan EP, et al. Overview of craniosynostosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 12, 2016.
- Chim H, et al. Virtual surgical planning in craniofacial surgery. Seminars in Plastic Surgery. 2014;28:150.
- Morris L. Management of craniosynostosis. Facial Plastic Surgery. 2016;32:123.
- Erb TO, et al. Surgical treatment of craniosynostosis in infants: Open vs closed repair. Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology. 2016;29:345.
- AskMayoExpert. Craniosynostosis and positional plagiocephaly. Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Mardini S, et al. Three-dimensional preoperative virtual planning and template use for surgical correction of craniosynostosis. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery. 2014;67:336.
- Wetjen N (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 30, 2016.