Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Tests and diagnosis
A coronary angiogram uses special X-rays to examine the inside of your heart's blood vessels. Find out what to expect when you have the procedure.
Treatments and drugs
Coronary angioplasty and stents can reopen clogged heart arteries if buildup of plaques is causing chest pain, shortness of breath or a heart attack.
Dec. 11, 2015
- Ferri FF. Coronary artery disease. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Coronary heart disease. National Lung, Heart, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cad. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Usatine RP, et al., eds. Coronary artery disease. In: The Color Atlas of Family Medicine. 2nd ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Oct. 13, 2015.
- Wilson PWF. Overview of the possible risk factors for cardiovascular disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 13, 2015.
- Longo DL, et al. Ischemic heart disease. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Oct. 13, 2015.
- Understanding blood pressure readings. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/AboutHighBloodPressure/Understanding-Blood-Pressure-Readings_UCM_301764_Article.jsp. Accessed Oct. 13, 2015.
- Seventh report of the joint national committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure. Bethesda, Md.: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-pro/guidelines/current/hypertension-jnc-7. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Your guide to lowering your cholesterol with therapeutic lifestyle changes (TLC). National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/resources/heart/cholesterol-tlc. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Eckel RH, et al. 2013 AHA/ACC guideline on lifestyle management to reduce cardiovascular risk. Circulation. 2014;129:S76.
- Franzese CJ, et al. Relation of fish oil supplementation to markers of atherothrombotic risk in patients with cardiovascular disease not receiving lipid-lowering therapy. American Journal of Cardiology. 2015;115:1204.
- Omega-3 supplements: An introduction. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/omega3/introduction.htm. Accessed Oct. 13, 2015.
- Tani S, et al. Association of fish consumption-derived ratio of serum n-3 to n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids and cardiovascular risk with the prevalence of coronary artery disease. International Heart Journal. 2015;56:260.
- Fish and omega-3 fatty acids. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Fish-and-Omega-3-Fatty-Acids_UCM_303248_Article.jsp. Accessed Oct. 13, 2015.
- Natural product effectiveness checker: Hypertension. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 13, 2015.
- Natural product effectiveness checker: High cholesterol. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 13, 2015.
- High blood pressure. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 13, 2015.
- Riggs ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 10, 2015.
- Hypertension in adults: Screening and home monitoring. U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/RecommendationStatementFinal/high-blood-pressure-in-adults-screening. Accessed Nov. 18, 2015.