High blood pressure is a risk factor for more than heart disease. Discover what complications high blood pressure can cause.
Coping and support
If you or a loved one has a serious illness, palliative care might be an option. Understand the benefits of palliative care.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Treatments and drugs
Quitting smoking is hard. But the right medications can help you cope with cravings and withdrawal.
July 21, 2015
- Balkissoon R, et al. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A concise review. Medical Clinics of North America. 2011;95:1125.
- Longo DL, et al. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- What is COPD? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/copd/. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Standards for the diagnosis and management of patients with COPD. American Thoracic Society. http://www.thoracic.org/clinical/copd-guidelines/index.php. Accessed June 4, 2015.
- Hanley ME, et al. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. In: Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Pulmonary Medicine. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2003. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=346§ionid=39883254. Accessed June 4, 2015.
- Foreman MG. Genes and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Medical Clinics of North America. 2012;96:699.
- Rosenberg SR, et al. An integrated approach to the medical treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Medical Clinics of North America. 2012;96:811.
- AskMayoExpert. Chronic pulmonary obstructive disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Scanlon PD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 4, 2015.