Endometriosis is a common and often painful disorder in which tissue that normally lines the inside of your uterus grows outside your uterus.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Is an over-the-counter laxative right for you? Before you decide, find out how different laxatives relieve constipation and get tips for using them safely.
Tests and diagnosis
Has your doctor recommended a colonoscopy? Here's what you need to know about preparation and the exam itself.
Has your doctor recommended a flexible sigmoidoscopy exam? Here's what you need to know about preparation and the exam itself.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
Treatments and drugs
When you're breast-feeding, medications aren't necessarily off-limits — but caution is important. Get answers to common questions about breast-feeding and medications.
Aug. 31, 2013
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 16, 2013.
- Bharucha AE, et al. American Gastroenterological Association technical review on constipation. Gastroenterology. 2013;144:218.
- Constipation. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/constipation/index.aspx. Accessed July 16, 2013.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 16, 2013.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-PolicyDocument.htm. Accessed Aug. 5, 2013.
- Britten P (expert opinion). USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, Alexandria, Va. May 20, 2011.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 21, 2013.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. Aug. 16, 2013.