Mayo Clinic researchers work to investigate new treatment options for chronic constipation.
Mayo Clinic scientists in the gastrointestinal physiology lab are studying how the body regulates gastrointestinal motility. They focus on gaining new knowledge about the molecular, cellular and physiological processes that control gastrointestinal motility and translating that knowledge into new therapies for people with those disorders.
The mission of the Clinical Enteric Neuroscience Translational and Epidemiological Research (C.E.N.T.E.R.) Program is one of the premier epidemiology, clinical and translational research center for clinical enteric neurosciences in the world. Additionally, the mission is to mentor and educate clinician investigators in the field of clinical enteric (related to the intestines) neurosciences.
See a list of publications on chronic constipation by Mayo Clinic doctors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Oct. 19, 2016
- Constipation. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/constipation/index.aspx. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2015-2016. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/gastroenterology-and-gi-surgery. Accessed April 6, 2016.
- Bharucha AE, et al. American Gastroenterological Association Medical Position Statement on Constipation. Gastroenterology. 2013;144:211.
- Rakel D. Constipation. In: Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- Feldman M, et al. Constipation. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- Wald A. Etiology and evaluation of chronic constipation in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- Wald A. Management of chronic constipation in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 17, 2016.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 4, 2016.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. August 7, 2016.